165 grams plain flour
60 grams hazelnut flour
150 grams unsalted butter, softened
75 grams golden caster sugar
200 grams unsalted butter
397 gram tin condensed milk
4 tbsp Miel de Cana
1 tsp fine sea salt
55 grams hazelnut slivers, lightly toasted
350 grams Green and Blacks dark milk chocolate or a mixture of milk/dark cooking chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150ºC, 300ºF, gas mark 2.
- Brush a 20 cm square cake tin with melted or softened butter.
- Sift the plain flour, hazelnut flour and sugar into a large baking bowl.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients, very briefly knead until incorporated.
- Press the dough into the prepared tin, prick the shortbread lightly with a fork.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a light golden colour, leave to cool in the tin.
- Tip – keep handling to a minimum and do not over bake.
Caramel Layer – stir throughout the process of making the caramel
- Put the butter, milk, Miel de Cana (or black treacle) and salt into a saucepan, heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, while stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes (the mixture should bubble but not boil).
- Pour over the cooled shortbread layer, scatter the hazelnut slivers over the top.
- Leave to cool and set.
- Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water ensuring the bowl does not come in contact with the water, leave to melt then stir until smooth.
- Pour over the caramel layer ensuring the caramel is evenly covered.
- Allow to cool at room temperature then transfer to the fridge and leave until set, cut into squares, triangles or fingers of a size to suit.