360 ml Jersey or breakfast milk
120 grams milk chocolate – Green and Blacks organic milk or dark cooking chocolate, or 60 of each
800 grams natural brown sugar
3 tbsp light corn syrup or golden treacle
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Grease – with butter – an 18 cm shallow square cake tin.
- Put the milk and chocolate into a heavy based saucepan set over a low heat, warm until the chocolate melts.
- Stir in the sugar, corn syrup and salt, continue stirring until the sugar dissolves then bring up to the boil.
- Reduce heat and continue cooking – without stirring – until mixture reaches 113ºC to 116ºC (235ºF to 240ºF) on a sugar/candy thermometer; immediately remove from the heat.
- At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into a bowl of cold water will form a soft flexible ball – upon removal from the water, the fudge will flatten after just a few seconds in your hand.
- Add the vanilla and butter – without stirring.
- Allow to cool to 43ºC (110ºF), lukewarm if you do not have a candy thermometer.
- At this point, beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is not longer glossy and begins to thicken – this will take about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and allow to cool and harden at room temperature.
- Turn out onto a cutting board, cut into squares.