This is a lovely recipe for a hot chocolate drink with vanilla, orange and cognac or brandy – the only difference from many others is the lack of sugars.
375 ml milk
125 ml double cream or crème fraîche
4 tsp organic cocoa, sifted (or amount to taste)
1 cinnamon stick
Finely pared peel from 1 orange
2 drops vanilla bean extract or natural vanilla paste
Sweet Freedom Original
Cognac, brandy or orange liqueur – amount to taste
Double cream – lightly whisked
Freshly ground nutmeg – light dusting to each cup
- Mix the cocoa and vanilla to a smooth paste with a little of the milk, reserve.
- Put the milk, cream, cinnamon and zest into a saucepan, warm over a low heat – do not allow it to come to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cocoa and vanilla paste – taste occasionally to check to see if any more cocoa should be added.
- Sweeten to taste, whisking with a wire balloon whisk.
- Pour through a sieve into cups, add a little Cognac or brandy and add some lightly whisked cream, dust with a little nutmeg.